So, you’re so excited to start your new blog until you run into a roadblock. How do you choose the best blog name? In this post, I’m sharing 4 features of a winning blog name.
What’s in a (Blog) Name?
Your blog name will be a major part of your brand. Choose something unique that you love. A name you’re proud of.
I personally like names that align with a site’s content. Simply Recipes is clearly a blog about recipes. You can tell that just by reading the name. On the other hand, content-related names aren’t everything.
Names That Don’t Seem to Make Any Sense
What do you think The Oatmeal is about? Oatmeal recipes? No. It’s about hilarious cartoons.
Think about big brands too. If you were caveman frozen in a block of ice and awakened in present day, and your new friends said, “Hey, let’s go to Starbucks“, would you have any idea what they were talking about? Probably not. Yet almost every person knows what to expect at Starbucks. It wouldn’t be long before he started to dream of lattes and frappuccinos at the sound of “Starbucks”.
4 Features of a Winning Blog Name
Here are some things to keep in mind while you’re brainstorming names. I recommend picking one that is:
- Unique (to avoid potential legal issues and help your SEO – do you really want to be the second search result when someone searches for your name?)
- Relatively Short (unless you like super long names, though long names can be hard to remember and a pain to type for readers looking for you, etc.)
- In Line with Your Content (Though we already discussed how it doesn’t have to match above)
- Easy to Say/Pronounce (If your readers / potential-readers can’t say your blog name, they may not remember it – how will they find you if they can’t remember your name?)
Tip: Add your name into your blog’s name to help make it unique. This works well if your blog is on the more personal side.
It helps if your blog name is catchy, but you may prefer to not have one that is catchy. Your name should make you feel confident and proud, so pick one that falls in line with your style.
Why Should You Care?
Here are some benefits of a winning blog name:
- People will actually remember it -> people will read your blog
- Your SEO game will start strong
- Good names make your branding easier
Ready to Start Your Blog?
Start your blog in 10 minutes or less with this handy-dandy tutorial I wrote for you. I kept it short and sweet so you won’t get overwhelmed. Instead, I link to posts with more info so you can choose-your-own-adventure your way to blogging.
And if you want even more direction, then you can sign up for my free 7-day email course here. The course will tell you all my best secrets from my successes and failures over the years.
Hope you found this post on 4 Features of a Winning Blog Name helpful. If you did, please share this with your friends who are also starting a blog. My goal is to help as many people as possible. Cheers!